Ellies Dog Loaf
Meat loaf is one of the easiest meals to serve when you’re running late and need to provide a quick tasty dish.
This recipe will create a fairly large batch, great for bigger breads or bigger families. Portions freeze nicely for a few months and take minutes to reheat in a frying pan with a little water and cover with a lid for a few minutes.
Yields 117 ounces
- 2 1/8 cups water
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 1 1/8 pounds pumpkin
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3/4 bunch silver beet
- 1 cup whole meal pasta — or Soya pasta
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup whole meal flour
- 1 1/8 pounds mince beef (or liver or fish)
- 3 eggs
- Boil the rice in water for 10 – 15 minutes and chop the veggies (I put them through the food processor).
- Add the veggies and pasta to the rice and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave to cool (not vital if you’re like me and in a rush!).
- Add mince beef, eggs, rolled oats and flour and mix together.
- Add more oats or flour if mixture is sticky (should be like a fruit cake mix).
- Spoon into oiled and floured loaf tins and bake in a hot oven 350 F for 1 hour.
- Remove from tins , turn oven off and return loaves to oven for 5 – 10 minutes to firm bottom crust.
- Take out of oven, leave to cool and use immediately or wrap in foil and freeze.
- Makes about 3 – 4 loaves.
|Ellies Dog Loaf|
|Total number of 1 cup servings:||14 2/3|
|Nutrition Facts per 8 ounce serving|
|Total Fat g.||3.86|
Always remember to balance each meal with vitamin and calcium supplements; visit Natural Urban Pets and stock up on your pet’s natural needs.