Oat Water Mixture for dehydrated pets
Oat water is a mixture to temporarily replace glucose levels in the body with dogs and cats until you can bring your pet to a veterinarian. Use it as a temporary measure to prevent dehydration during times of severe stomach upset, vomiting and diarrhea, often used for puppies with Parvovirus. Use the Beef Liver Puree recipe once your puppy or kitten has stabilized and is no longer vomiting.
Yields 58 ounces
- 8 cups water, distilled
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 medical syringe or eye dropped (from your drug store)
- To make a one half gallon solution of oat water, bring 8 cups of distilled water to a boil.
- Add 1/2 cup of oats, 1 tsp. of salt and 1/3 cup of black strap molasses.
- Stir the mixture for one minute and then let the solution sit to cool for 20 minutes.
- At that point, strain the oats from the mixture.
- Fill the dropper or syringe with the oat water.
- Holding your cat’s head still with one hand, insert the tip of the dropper or syringe into a corner of the mouth, between the cheek and the teeth, aiming toward the back of your cat’s head.
- • Do not tilt your cat’s head back; this may cause him to inhale the liquid. Squeeze the dropper or depress the syringe plunger slowly.
- • Stroke his throat or blow on his nose to encourage swallowing.
- If you don’t have a helper handy, you may want to sit on the floor and hold the front of your cat’s body partially against your body or on your lap. If you have a large cat, you can stand behind your cat and have him sit back against your legs.
- Cat’s can be wrapped in a large towel and held against your body, leaving only the head free. Be sure not to wrap your cat too tightly.
- If your cat struggles, talk to him calmly and stop administering the medicine if he becomes extremely agitated. Contact your veterinarian if you have questions or run into any problems.
- This solution is the electrolyte fluid component. The oat water is not only a critical component of the teas but is also a source of hydration during administration of medication.
- Recipe compliments of Urban Jungle Pets and Amber Technology.
|Total number of 1 cup servings:||8 6/7|
|Nutrition Facts per 8 ounce serving|
|Total Fat g.||0.4|
Always remember to balance each meal with vitamin and calcium supplements; visit Natural Urban Pets and stock up on your pet’s natural needs.
Dehydrated Pets, Diarrhea, Glucose Level, Vomiting