Turkey and Barley for Diabetics Dogs
The green beans, swiss chard, cumin and cinnamon in this recipe have all been shown to be beneficial in laboratory tests and are often recommended for humans with diabetes.
The red pepper provides a great source of vitamin C, which will aid in normalizing blood sugar levels and improving kidney function, as well as preventing cataracts. The wheat germ oil provides vitamin E which will also help protect eye health.
This meal has an added benefit of being low in fat to help dogs with diabetes trim down.
Yields 73 ounces
- 3 cups pearl barley
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 lb. ground turkey
- 1 red bell pepper, medium seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green beans, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup swiss chard, chopped
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. sunflower seed oil
- Combine the barley, water, turkey, bell pepper, green beans, swiss chard, wheat bran, cumin, cinnamon and oil in the pot of a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Stir well to break up turkey and mix the ingredients.
- Cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours, until the barley has absorbed all the water.
- Turn off the cooker and allow to the stew to cool.
|Turkey And Barley For Diabetics|
|Total number of 1 cup servings:||9 1/6|
|Nutrition Facts per 8 ounce serving|
|Total Fat g.||7.48|
Always remember to balance each meal with vitamin and calcium supplements; visit Natural Urban Pets and stock up on your pet’s natural needs.Diabetic